Chess 960 Analysis #1: Subtle Threats

Final position, 1-0

Hey guys! This was my very first chess 960 game and it was crazy. Aside from the fact that I did not know what I was doing in regular chess, I had made a fool of myself in this variant. So here is my analysis of the game. It was a fairly quick game considering the position I got myself into and the reason why I resigned will be revealed later on and it has something to do with "subtle threats" or as it is usually known "quiet moves" although the move my opponent made was not necessarily unavoidable but the idea was superb.



So a few lessons from this game:
1. Stick to the basic principles that guide any chess game even if this is a variant, the principles still apply. Don't get yourself in too much funny business because it will bite you in the end. Remember to develop your pieces and try to control the center as much as possible to grab as much space as you can.

2. Have the right balance of offense and defense. Do not play into your opponent's hand, have your own plan and make moves that would further your plan. Don't just randomly attack your opponent's pieces for the sake of attacking them just like what I did with the rook (it wasn't clever), but try to find moves that have a dual purpose much like what my opponent did.

3. Never be afraid to take chances or risks or sacrifice when you need to. I should have taken his knight with my rook but I was a bit myopic with the range of possible moves I could have done at that point.

There, I hope this helps anyone out there :)

Comments

Popular Posts