Bullet Chess #17: The Pawn Structure Crumbles


This game caps off the four bullet games I played about a month ago in which I was on fire and having really great games even though I didn't win all of them.

I don't know what happened with my opponent in this game but if you look at the computer's evaluation, we were neck-and-neck. There weren't a lot of weaknesses on either side and for me, it wasn't totally clear how I was going to move forward.

If you look at the position above though, you can see that I won a pawn and will win another pawn in the next turn. Since it's a bullet game, I would assume that my opponent didn't see that his pawn was hanging and so he dropped it. It was a critical pawn as well since it was holding his central pawn structure which was integral in holding his position.

I'm not going to say that White was better before this, in fact, the position was practically equal. However, Black probably didn't see the attack on the pawn and made an irrelevant move. So I grabbed the pawn and gained momentum from there. It wasn't a clean win though as you will see later on that I made several mistakes and missed wins.

Nonetheless, I was still glad that I won the game because this marks the first time in a long time that on Chess.com, I was able to achieve a bullet rating above 2000. It's not a big accomplishment really but I'm still happy about it. Considering that bullet chess is more about speed than accuracy, people are bound to commit blunders in the heat of the moment, even masters. However, there are those beasts who could be very quick as well as very accurate.

I don't really want to go into all the details of this game. But I just wanted to point out that in move 28, I had a missed win. I didn't see an immediate checkmate after Ng6+ so I opted for a queen check and I made a few good moves but also made a blunder. Instead of Be5 which was absolutely winning, I played Nxh6 which was a big blunder, something that Black missed. So did I, but everything worked out in the end.

Comments

Popular Posts