Game Analysis #20: Start Strong, End with a Blunder



It’s a shame when you are able to get a good position in the opening and middle game only to make one big mistake in the end. That is the story of this game. To be honest, I think this game was fun for me until that point where I blundered.

The move in question is move 27 where I had overlooked that my opponent was guarding his pawn with his rook and so I gave my queen away for free. Well, not really, it was a pawn for my queen.

After looking at the engine analysis of the game, everything for White until move 27 had an evaluation of “better” or even “winning” at some point but it all ended in a flash with one simple oversight. Perhaps, I should have exchanged queens when I had the chance in move 25. That would have simplified matters. But I was naïve and inexperienced, thinking that the queens need not be exchanged yet.

I wasn’t able to evaluate my position objectively. The computer says that I had the advantage since move 10 and I was able to hold onto it. I just did not have the sense to make the right decision when it came to securing the win. It is an oft said statement but it is a lot more difficult to win a “won” game, that is, one in which you have a huge advantage but your opponent is not out of the woods yet.

I have learned from my mistake although it took a lot of time before I did. It was pretty useful that somebody was able to point out better methods at securing a win in chess. That is, I learned how to simplify into an endgame where I clearly have the winning advantage.

And as I continued to play more games, it became somewhat of an instinct. Knowing when you are worse or better and making the right decisions – that is only something you can gain after practicing and playing many games. Experience would teach you a lot and having a good coach would accelerate your progress even more. At least, it makes your learning a bit more structured.

I look at this game now, several years after I played it, and I am glad that I have gone a long way. Of course, being a casual player, I still have miles ahead of me before I can even reach a position where I can truly say that I am any good in the game. At the very least, I hope to achieve a master title in my lifetime.

Game Analysis

Comments

Popular Posts