Game Analysis #21: Several Missed Chances



As I analyzed this next game, I tried to find ways on how the game could be improved particularly on my part. I saw a couple of things I would have done if I were playing the game now compared to back when I first played it. I also checked the computer’s analysis to see if there are possible improvements as well.

Generally, the game felt awkward for Black at certain points. I was probably just trying out the Queen’s Gambit because I saw some other players using it and it seemed like a popular choice. Nowadays, I would generally go for some offbeat line or opening when facing the Queen’s Pawn. The Benoni is my main weapon.

For this game, White definitely had control over a larger amount of space but he did have some trouble with developing his pieces. His queen was moving around a lot and his bishop was hemmed in. I think I made the wrong decisions when it came to trading pieces but I couldn’t say that White didn’t make his own as well.

There are definitely improvements that could be made in the opening. But I think both sides came out of the opening relatively unscathed. Aside from Black being down a pawn which he would later regain, there wasn’t much going on in the opening.

Things started to become more heated from move 17 which could have given Black a big edge if he had moved something entirely different. There were several other points in the game where Black could have made a comeback, that is, to say that for the most part White was in the driver seat.

Now, I think the most important lesson I could take away from this is the fact that you need to be able to maintain your advantage by slowly improving the position of your pieces.

As the endgame drew nearer, White became more open and active but Black’s king was relatively safer behind the cover of the pawns. Black’s rooks caught up though, becoming more active after several exchanges but they could have been more coordinated to solidify Black’s position.

Overall, I think there were several missed chances on both sides’ parts but Black had missed bigger chances to gain a winning advantage.

Analysis

Comments

Popular Posts