Blitz Chess #5: My First Lichess Blitz Game was a Mess


I decided to check out my blitz games on Lichess and try to see what I could get out of them so I pulled this one out which was my very first blitz on Lichess. And without any context whatsoever, you might conclude that I was a complete patzer when I played this game. I would say that is 99.9% correct however, at this point, I had already been playing a number of bullet games which I had actually been winning. They weren't all superb games but I was making good rounds in the bullets. In any case, the annotation for the game will lend context to how things turned out to be like this.

I was playing White in this game of course, and as you can see from the final position, I had been caught in a windmill. Play would have continued Kh1, Nxe1+, Kh2, Nf3+, Kh1, Nxd4+, Kh2, Nf3+, Kh1, and Nd2+ picking up my last piece and I would have been totally decimated. Although, just from the final position alone, I already was. It is actually quite an educational game but disappointing for me at least. But what a beautiful way to cap the game if only I hadn't resigned. I already saw it coming anyway so why prolong the torment? Well, that was back then. If I were to lose this way today, I would just let it happen. Of course, they should just simply checkmate me in the end because I have no patience when games are prolonged much more than need be.

As I said, I had wanted to see how I played back then so I checked this game. You wouldn't think that I would have done any better during the game from the end but in reality, I had a significant lead over my opponent. It was weird because I didn't expect that seeing the way how it ended. If you go through the game until around move 23, things were going great for me. Despite my piece sacrifice which turned into an exchange sacrifice, I had very active pieces and a nice control of the center. The sacrifice was definitely worth it. Until I messed it up in move 23. See for yourself.

I don't know what got into me. Maybe I panicked that my opponent was getting a central passed pawn even though I would have gotten a passed pawn on the wings. You could see my naivete and inexperience from the decision but that was the crux that brought me down. In any case, after that, things started going downhill and I lost in what was supposed to be a masterful end. So, from then, I think I worked on how to improve my tactical vision and calculation but even then, it's not going to be enough to go up against very strong players. But it was a nice game though it was pretty messy.

Comments

Popular Posts