Bullet Chess #11: The Last and Shortest Bullet Game


This was the last bullet game I had against my first opponent on Lichess. It was a fairly quick game, most probably because my opponent was already tired or he just wasn't in the right form to play against me at the time. As this was a bullet game, you cannot blame your opponent for making mouse slips or blunders because they pre-moved. That's one thing I learned when playing fast time controls online. You shouldn't let your guard down. I have been on the wrong end of pre-move blunders far too many times and I still get caught in some of them to be honest. But that's the thrill of it all. It's frustrating but it also pushes you to be more focused and have the determination to succeed no matter what the circumstances may be.

I played the Sicilian. This one didn't really last long. It was quite a straightforward sequence of moves. And the only thing that my opponent did wrong was to pre-move without checking what move his opponent made. Once he realized his mistake, he immediately resigned. Now, there are cases when this happens and it might seem completely hopeless but it's not. There are instances when such opening blunders may be redeemed. You may even turn the tables around in your favor. However, you would need persistence and guts of steel.

Remember that there are many factors involved in winning a chess game. It's not just the amount of material that you have. You have to take into account your position relative to your opponent's. If you blundered a piece, then the best thing to do is not to exchange any of your pieces right away so that you can fall back, recuperate, and strategize once again. Hope that your opponent makes a wrong move. You may try to confuse your opponent by launching a counterattack or making a double-edged play that could either bring you back to equality or even get you to a winning position, or on the other hand, it could be a complete bust. But that's the game of chess. You have to take risks if you want to win. Furthermore, since we were playing a bullet game, anything could have happened. He should have just had enough confidence to keep fighting.

So that concludes my first three bullet games on Lichess. To be honest, I played much worse than I had expected myself to play. When I was looking through my earlier games on Lichess, I was thinking I should have at least gotten some good positional or tactical plays in there. But it was disappointing looking through them. It just goes to show that I had a lot more room for improvement even way back then, considering I already had some knowledge on the basic principles and theories. In the end, I think it also comes down to experience. For the past five years, I've played thousands of games and I've learned a lot from those games. So I think that's what made the difference.

Comments

Popular Posts