Bullet Chess #6: Lost a Drawn Position in the Most Irritating Way Imaginable


In a recent game I had, I was pretty happy for most of the game because things were going my way and I was actually able to make good moves properly as well as maintain that position up until move 42 when things went downhill really fast. It went from a -5.67 to a 0.00 because of just one move. And as you know, there are instances like that in which a completely winning position could dwindle down to a drawn position due to things like repetition. And obviously, at this point, things were very tense since we were both down on time but the problem was that, in this position, it's not at all clear what my opponent was going to do. Of course, my position was still okay and most of my pieces are covered but under time pressure, you start to panic and you make pre-moves that might cost you the game. So in an attempt to avoid an accidental loss, I had to wait for my opponent to make his move before I made mine. But in doing so, I lost a lot of time until my opponent flagged me.


And that's all she wrote. Seriously though, if this game were in classical or even blitz time controls, nobody would doubt that Black was going to win. And I wouldn't have had to make silly blunders due to time pressure. But it was fun nonetheless and I really loved the thrill, excitement, and adrenaline rush that you get when you find yourself in those tough spots and have to find the only way out. In this case, however, I wasn't able to do that and lost what was a winning and drawn position. That's life and we just have to keep moving.

Technically speaking though, I liked the game because I was able to rise up and fight back even though I made a big blunder so early on in the game. Instead of just giving up as I would usually do, I just tried to make plays and counterattacks that I thought would have given me a slight chance of at least drawing the game. But in the end, the attack I launched was enough to even out the game and even give me a good advantage. All of that came crumbling down however, when I made that one fateful mistake of letting my opponent have the opportunity to draw due to perpetual checks. But even then, I didn't get the satisfaction of not losing because I lost anyway due to running out of time. I'm not angry about it. I'm just frustrated that I let things go that route when I had a good position in the end.

Comments

Popular Posts