Bullet Chess #8: The Risk Pays Off


Here's my latest bullet game which was quite a snag. I wouldn't say any of my games are technically sound but it just makes my heart well up when I am able to pull off a win without having to rely on cheap tricks or flagging. I mean, I'm fine using those weapons online or even over the board when I get the chance but having a clean win is pure joy. And in this game, I was able to do that. As far as I'm concerned, I felt that the game was solid and I didn't make too many big mistakes that would have caused me a loss. In fact, I believe I was playing in a structure which I have studied before although I wasn't quite exact with the moves or their order. But I was quite comfortable playing the position.

Anyways, I was generally in a playable position with enough flexibility to take the game wherever you want although at some point, I made an inaccuracy which opened up the way for my opponent to have some initiative but he also made inaccuracies despite that and it didn't turn into some bloodbath in which I wouldn't be sure whether I could make it out alive or not. Nonetheless, it didn't go that route and I was glad. It made me even happier knowing that, in taking a risk, I was able to progress even further and gain more of an advantage over my opponent.

Though I wasn't sure about it at first, but the move d5 felt like the only right move in the position after move 22. So I made the move even though I hadn't calculated how things will turn out. However, I felt that I had an advantage because my queen was very active and had infiltrated enemy territory. All I needed to do was get the other pieces involved. So I set the pieces into motion and that's why I believed d5 was key in doing that. It allowed my bishop to enter the fray. Otherwise, my bishop would have been locked in behind its own pawns and it would have remained passive all throughout the game, perhaps even causing me to lose the game.

I made the right choice. It was a risk for me to sacrifice a pawn because I didn't know if my attack would be enough in the end. It turned out that it was. Soon, I was able to get things in action and I even picked up several of my opponents' pieces. Now, it wasn't the most technically clean win after move 29 but it was, at the very least, an overwhelming one.

Comments

Popular Posts